I mentioned it before. I feel a longing for physical intimacy. A longing that has yet to be fulfilled. I've pondered countless numbers of ways to satisfy this longing. I've looked at personal ads on Craigslist, considered initiating social interactions at the local Gay & Lesbian Center and even thought perhaps I might use a paid online match site. For various reasons, most of which center on the fact that I am at core a lazy coward, I've have yet to pursue any of the options.
But, as per usual with me, I've done a lot of thinking on the subject. A part of my hesitation comes from the fact that I can't quite shake a lifetime of conditioning to think of sexual intimacy as "sacred" and "only appropriate within approved marital relationships." Although I have come to grips with the concept that that position is opinion based on a specific social and religious structure, rather than a self-evident universal truth, it's probably unrealistic to think it won't color my outlook for the rest of my life.
But I also hesitate because, on a fundamental personal level and even in the absence of belief in a reward/punishment system created by a god, I do believe that the act of sex should not be the equivalent of eating a Snickers because they both satisfy. So, while I don't believe in the "sacredness" of sex, I do give it a significance beyond what I assign to, say, a midnight trip to Dairy Queen (no pun intended) for a Blizzard. Even though I do love Blizzards and may even think of them as sacred. Anyway...
What, then, does sex mean to me and how do I meet this most fundamental desire? I've reached the following conclusions:
1. Sexual intimacy isn't some exalted, sacred activity that must only occur according to a set of rigid rules in narrow, prescribed circumstances.
2. On the other hand, I also believe that sexual intimacy has an importance and depth beyond that associated with just the everyday experiences of life.
3. For sexual intimacy to maintain its place as in life as a singularly meaningful experience, it cannot be treated as casually as life's other daily activities.
4. Sexual encounters do not have to be reserved for only those to whom we plan to make a long term commitment, but they should not be so casual as to forget that one's partner is not simply an object of pleasure.
5. An evening of love making can and should involve respect and caring, even if it doesn't require some kind of long term pledge.
The how to satisfy my longings in light of the above is the most difficult part. I am tempted to go the Craigslist route, at least for the first time. After that first experience, I might feel more relaxed to explore other horizons. Of course, there's the safety concerns and the difficulty of finding someone I would be comfortable with. I find the vast majority of personal ads crude, offensive and, frankly, downright silly. Maybe I will find someone else who thinks the same way and we can share a special experience. And maybe pigs will fly too, over the rainbow and through snowballs in Hell.
Don't go the craigslist route. That's a terrible way to have your first experience. If you must, there are free dating sites like OkCupid, and paid sites like match.com. Your age group might trend more towards match.com, but I'm not really sure.
ReplyDeleteReally I think the best way to fulfill needs for human intimacy is to interact socially in the spaces where the people you want to meet are. That can be tough because it's not always easy to find where those places or groups are. And even then, you have to figure out how to fit into them. But my advice would be to go to something, anything. You don't have to turn into a party animal, just stay for an hour. And if it's not your scene, don't go back. But keep trying different things until you find something you like.
In some ways I feel like the idea that we all sit behind our computers and cell phones and schedule hookups like we would a dentist appointment is detrimental to our community. But then again, what do I know, I wasn't around 10 years ago, and I can't say if the bars, clubs, and whatever else they did in the 80s were any better.
Whewh. Ok, sorry, rant over lol.
@el genii. Rants always welcome sir. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. They are always welcome too!
ReplyDelete