When I was an early teen, say around 14, I had a pretty significant physical relationship with a friend of mine over a period of about a year. This young man was LDS and I went to school with him for many years. Looking back I realize that the physical part of our relationship (which was in the very early years of our friendship) was highly sexualized and that I was very much in love with him. There was no intercourse of any kind, but there was plenty of intense physical contact. And I craved being physically affectionate - very tactile - with him.
At the time, it didn't really register with me that I was gay. I knew that I had a longing for other boys with what I see now as several significant crushes starting in sixth grade. And, as I got older, I liked the way other boys looked, particularly in the locker room. I even used to go "visit" a friend in the soccer team locker room area because I like to sneak a glance at the kid next to him while he was changing. Hanging around my buddy after gym was the only way to do it. So I learned to change quick! (The friend in question will likely read this. Sorry, professor, but I used you as an excuse to indulge my carnal desires. I apologize for my cheap, tawdry actions.)
I had only the vaguest of recollections as to what being gay was. For whatever reason, when I was first in high school I came to believe from the comments I heard that masturbation made you a "faggot" and I didn't want anyone to know I was one of those - because Lord knows if masturbation made one thus, I was likely the biggest faggot in school! It took me many, many years to gradually understand that it wasn't that I was more "sensitive" than other boys and that's why I wanted to be "close" to them. Fact is, looking back, I just plain found some of them hot but really had no way of integrating that idea in my life or processing it intellectually.
Here's what perplexes me: This buddy with whom I had the most intimate physical relationship with in my life (and, given that it occurred when I was 14, isn't that just one sad statement?) turned out to be straight. I haven't spoken too him in a very long time, so I can't be 100% certain. And the one thing I've learned through a few years of participating in the MoHo blog world is that appearances often are very deceiving. But I'm pretty confident that he is as straight as they come.
And that is what I don't get. We were 14 years old. This wasn't some 9 year old "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" nonsense. The physical contact wasn't fleeting, accidental or a single episode. Rather it was significant, overt and took place multiple times over a year or so. Of course we never labeled it as sexual. And neither of us ever achieved, uh hum, completion so-to-speak. But I just don't know how a straight person could participate in such activity. Put another way, I'm certain that I wouldn't have had any interest in that kind of contact with a girl, and would have in fact found it disgusting to do so. The few times I kissed girls were almost painful for me.
This morning I asked another friend, who is most definitely straight, whether he had ever had any physical sexual contact with another male, no matter how minor. This friend knows who and what I am and, I believe, was perfectly honest with me in his response. He said that he never had, except for inadvertent "touching hands", which I found really, really interesting. He is so completely straight that he would consider intentionally touching another guy's hand to be tantamount to a sexual act.
All of which leaves me perplexed. Of course it's anecdotal. My "research" involved two people and hardly represented an application of the scientific method. Still, I can't reconcile my 14 year old interaction with my peer who I am virtually certain went on to be and live a straight life with the response I received from my buddy this morning.
I suppose I am looking at it all in too binary a fashion - a hazard that comes with an LDS background. My upbringing taught me that a thing is one thing or another, right or wrong and, by extension, a person is straight or evil - I mean gay. Perhaps my 14 year old buddy simply wasn't certain of what he was yet. Perhaps he just didn't worry about it and knew it was something I liked so he went along. Maybe he found it pleasurable and a fine substitute until the opportunity with a girl came along.
Not that any of it really matters. Just something I've been stewing on for a while now.
From what I've seen and read, it seems to me that lots of straight teenaged boys engage in sexual activity with other boys. There may be several factors involved here. Until puberty kicks in psychologically, boys aren't sexually interested in girls. Male bonding is normal for straight guys. Even post-puberty, straight guys want to be with their buddies. And then there are "raging hormones."
ReplyDeleteI think some straight 14-year-olds may unfortunately think that experiences such as yours mean that they're gay.
This post really hit home with me. I know that you have read my blog or at least some of it. What you have written here parallels my experiences growing up through my teenage years.
ReplyDeleteMy best friend went on to get married and have children like I did. But the separation that occurred when he ran away from home at the age of 12 was permanent except for two five minute incidental conversations we had years later. His life was complicated with alcoholism and he eventually took his own life at the age of 38. I've wondered through the years if he remembered our physical relationship in the same way as I did. After he left it dawnwd on me that I had loved him and went through a grieving period that even today still haunts me. Writing my blog has helped me face my feeling from those many years ago.
I wonder, did our past relationship when we were teenagers contribute to his psycological burden which eventually led him to be so hopeless as to take his own life. I feel guilty for not trying to reconnect with him as a friend and at least given him someone to talk to about his problems. I will never know if it would have made any difference.
You wrote, "At the time, it didn't really register with me that I was gay. I knew that I had a longing for other boys.I had only the vaguest of recollections as to what being gay was." That was me and it has been a lifelong struggle to understand my sexuality. Living in the closet all of my life hasn't helped but has been my way of coping with the life decisions I have made.
Thanks for writing this post........Adrian
@naturgesetz - I agree. I do wonder if he looks at his past and it bothers him, like what I'm I have hidden gayness in me. But at the time he was so insouciant about it that I don't think so.
ReplyDelete@Adrian - I actually thought of you when I created this post. I have many actions and omissions in my past on a variety of subjects concerning which I am often troubled. What kind of impact did I have? I guess there's really no way to know for sure, and we all just need to find a way to live with ourselves and accept that human beings are social and impact each other - and that impact isn't always good. Just a fact of life.