I have come to dislike long weekends. My office was closed Thursday and Friday so I haven't been to work since Wednesday afternoon. As much as I think the downtime is good for me, I have also felt a fair amount of ennui over this holiday, and the last few for that matter. As I was wondering why that is, I realized that I haven't had a single conversation today, at least assuming talking to myself and the beagles doesn't count.
Now, I'm used to being alone and have even written about enjoying my solitary life much of the time. In fact, I really don't know any other way to live. Since coming home from a mission, I've been on my own. Sure, I've had roommates. Seems like even when I don't need them financially I still, for one reason or another, end up having at least one most of the time. And, given how I'm feeling, that's probably a good thing. But a roommate is different from a spouse/family.
Many advantages inure to being on my own. I don't have to consult with anyone regarding financial decisions. I don't have anyone to support. I use my time as I will. I wanted a motorcycle so I found the resources and bought one. No one to argue whether it was prudent. If I feel like reading a book, I do it. A walk beckons and I'm off with beagles and iPod in hand. Yes, indeed, being single is not without its compensations.
But, for the first time in my life, I find myself a bit lost in my singleness. I actually think that the issue has been building since my sister passed away three years ago. She was single and, frankly, a little odd. That got me thinking about my life. I may have a reasonably large number of friends, but I do recognize more than a little of the oddness I share with my sister. The fact that I have honestly failed at life, at least if realizing my potential is the measure of success or failure.
These thoughts, of being alone, of my sister, of my oddities and of the way I laid waste to a life with so much promise. They intrude frequently, but lately they seem to do so particularly over long holidays. Too much time on my hands. There is only so much I can make myself do around the house and yard. There is a limit to how much reading I can handle, even though that is one of the few things that truly gives me escape. At some point there's just too much unallocated time. Monday can't really come fast enough. Oh how I never thought I'd say that.
All of this leads to my sense of my own mortality. Which has me feeling anxious about having my financial affairs arranged and my estate, however modest it might be, in order. In fact, I feel a real anxiousness about creating my first will, which I will sign and have witnessed Monday. Morbid I know but that's where my thoughts are these days. Perhaps everyone goes through this when they finally realize that middle age has really and truly arrived. Maybe the fact that I have pills to take and doctor visits to make, I'd been to the doctor fewer than two or three times between 20 and 40. Whatever the cause, that's how I'm feeling. A long weekend, while relaxing, only allows those feelings assert themselves.
Perhaps I will live to a ripe old age. Life is nothing if not a series of waves. Everyone goes through the troughs. I've been around, I know how it works. But at this point in time, at this stage in my life, I have a sense of foreboding. And I also cling to a sentiment that I have expressed in the past. The greatest liberty I have, the most powerful freedom I enjoy, is the ability to say when, to conclude I've had enough. My decision and mine alone.
Now is not that moment, but should that moment come, I want to be ready, I want to have my house in order and I want the satisfaction of knowing that I will no longer be alone, troubled by long holiday weekends no more.
May I sincerely ask: how is it that you feel you have failed at life? Are you talking about something in particular? Is there not time to do the thing(s) you want/need yet to do?
ReplyDeleteI have felt the same feelings you have described feeling in this post. I, too, got my will, financial papers, trusts, etc. in order. Completing those tasks brought feelings of foreboding and made me feel tentative. But, they passed. And, they needed to be done.
I hope you are OK. I worry about you and wish there were something I could do to help. Is there anything I can do?
You are a good man. I appreciate the things I learn from you. Sending love and good energy your way. Your friend, Duck. :)
The ever faithful Duck. Please do not worry for things are what they are. I desire more time to ponder my response but wanted you to know I'm ok for now.
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting me know you are OK, at least for now. To be truthful, I am more worried now than before. I do not know you beyond the blogging world, I do not know where you live, but I FEEL this, whatever is happening to you right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please be safe. And, careful. I await, a bit anxiously, your response. I love you and want for things to be alright for you. Your friend, Duck :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNever fill my flat billed friend. I'm back at work, which is a good thing. Idle hands and all that rot... Good to be busy. A more thoughtful response to company but no need to worry.
DeleteDidn't forget about you Duck. Just been thinking about it for a while. First know I am fine. I was definitely in a funk but am better. Been there before; will be there again.
ReplyDeleteIn response to your query there are several "big" life altering mistakes I have made and countless small decisions that have made my life a failure in my view. I don't feel comfortable sharing them here but I'm very clear eyed about them. A few years ago I decided that I needed to face facts for what they are and not pretend they are what I would wish them to be.
I honestly have little doubt that I will choose the ending of my life, both timing and circumstance. This is how I wish it to be. But I also believe that choice will be sometime down the road. In the meantime I use this blog to vent and to talk to myself, while allowing those who have an interest to listen in.
Good folks like you do. And I am both touched and appreciative that you share your thoughts. It warms try heart to realize someone who knows me only in the blog world cares enough to be concerned.
Thank you for responding. I am glad you are OK. I still worry about you and want always that you are safe and happy. I do not like to hear you talking about knowing how and when your life will end. That frightens me. But, you are right. It IS your call and I respect your choices. It does not mean that I like them, but I respect them. I want you to die of old age, like when you are 131 or something. And, just because I do not know you beyond blog land does NOT mean that my concern, love, and caring for you are NOT real, because they are. I am sorry, but I disagree with you about decisions you have made that you feel make your life a failure. It is never too late to right whatever wrongs have happened, it is never too late to apologize, and it is never too late for one to correct his/her life's direction of path. You are important and mean a lot to me and to others. If you do not feel comfortable sharing the things to which you have alluded with me or on this blog, please seek out those people with whom you can share. I want it to be me, but I understand that it is not. Just please be safe, OK? I would hate it if anything happens to you. I swear, I will go ninja on you if you let anything happen to you. You think I jest, but I am very serious.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will have a good 24th of July tomorrow. Do you have pioneer ancestors whom you celebrate? Will you be going to any rodeos? Having any cook-outs? I went to a rodeo this evening and will be going to another one tomorrow night- just saying in case you cannot find one to attend, I have been to enough for the both of us. :)
I love you. Happy night, Duck