Friday, July 25, 2014

On Eating the Berry Horn First

I love Svenhard's breakfast horns.  They are perfect for the first meal of the day - for lunch and dinner too.  My absolute personal favorite is the Berry Horn.  Unfortunately, I have yet to successfully locate a pack of only Berry Horns.  I always have to buy the much less desirable horns in order to get the Berry Horns.  Clearly unfair, but then thus is life.

I almost always eat the Berry Horns last.  Sometimes that means they are stale, but I still do it.  What's more, I typically eat around the berry part, which I save for the last couple of bites.  I do this because I hate it when the Berry Horns, and particularly the centers, are gone. 

Compare that to my colleague at work.  To my horror, she eats her french fries first.  I protest that she is eating the best part, essentially the dessert, early.  I mock and tease and point our her folly.  She stubbornly insists that french fries are best when warm, and warmest when first served.

My desire to "save the best for last" has often worked to my detriment.  I actually struggle to enjoy vacations and long holiday weekends because I dread returning to the old grind after the weekend.  Same with the Berry Horns.  I love eating them and hate eating them all at once, since they taste so darn good but once eaten are gone.

I'm rethinking my policy on Berry Horns, french fries, vacations and life in general. Now don't misunderstand me.  I believe in being prepared.  In the importance of a little delayed gratification.  I try to save some, contribute 10% to my 401k and pay extra on the old mortgage.

But my health is much more fragile than I expected it to be at this stage of my life.  I don't think I'm going to expire tomorrow, but I don't think I will be setting any records for longevity.  As an atheist I'm pretty convinced that this life is it.  So now's the time to eat the Berry Horns and french fries first.  Continue to contribute to that 401k just in case, but get a little more out of the here and now.

I wish I had figured this all out earlier.  Maybe allowed myself to find love with a guy who I could have built a life with.  But better late than never.  There's a lot to see, do and enjoy even with the greatly narrowed options available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment