Went to the Ci
ty (San Francisco) yesterday for an appointment with a specialist. Now, no worries. I'm not dying. Well, we are all dying. However, I’m told it's not likely for the next long stretch. But the trip, and the last year spent trying to figure out why I have the liver of an alcoholic when my last drink was in 1986, have made me realize just how uncertain life is. I'm trying to stop and smell the roses a bit. So Glacier National Park here I come, in less than a week! 
While on my way home, on a whim, I decided to go to Muir Woods National Monument. Now, this just isn't the type of thing I usually do. I typically would have headed straight home. Must beat the traffic and all that. But, like my recent GPS story, I went outside of the typical. What a pay off! One has to be there to appreciate the age of one of the last stands
of old growth Redwood trees. Some are quite literally 2000 years old! Just ponder that for a moment. Spent a couple of hours wandering around there.
Then, really going out of my comfort zone, I decided to backtrack and see if the clouds and fog had broken up a bit around the Golden Gate Bridge. It was socked in when I left the City. Made it back for a sunset at the Marin Headlands. Pure luck, pure chance. It was beautiful. And the moment would have been lost if I had done what I usually do.
Awesome.
Fantastic. A day to remember. A day that could have been spent pouting over yet another "we really aren't sure, but we think its 'fatty liver' (I'm not really fat!) and there's nothing we can do but monitor it" appointment. In the alternative, behind door B, appreciate the excuse to take the day off of work and go to the City, the woods and watch an incredible sunset. 
Me, I'm going with door B . Because no matter how sad I am about how my life has turned out, there's still so much to enjoy in the here and n
ow.
Oh yeah, I joined the American Humanist Association. I've decided I'm an evil secular humanist. So there!
That sounds like such an awesome day. I am always glad to hear when people are able to get off the beaten path and break out of their comfort zones. It is something I think everyone should do.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are beautiful!
I heart "evil" secular humanists!
Last minute road trip decisions usually turn out to be some of the best. Glad you enjoyed the time and what's with the liver, can you blame heredity, maybe?
ReplyDeletehugs,pl