I did something very unusual two weekends ago. I was on a short weekend trip camping in the Napa area, specifically just outside of Calistoga. The location is important because it had been a very long time since I was last in that area. So, I was not entirely sure of how to get there.
Lucky for me I have a GPS. I do love gadgets! I had anticipated that I would take the main highway (I80) to the turn off for Napa and then head north. That would keep me on the major routes. The GPS had other ideas. It had me wandering off on two lane roads through small towns and over winding mountain routes.
So, I had a choice. I knew if I stayed on the main highway, the GPS would recalculate and would eventually keep me on I80, the safe and conservative route. Or, I could try the road less traveled, so to speak, and see if something new and interesting was waiting. What to do?
Well, I ignored the GPS for a bit. But it was persistent and I thought "why not?" Off I went, over hill and over dale, through a few tiny towns (if you haven't been to California, you might be surprised at how much of it looks like rural Utah). Then up over a mountain pass, by a dam and around the south shore of a reservoir. Beautiful country. Sites I had never seen before. No, not like Yosemite, the Grand Canyon or Zions, but much nicer than a six lane freeway passing through cities named Vacaville and Fairfield.
Since I was by myself, and had only Around the World in 80 Days in audible form to keep me company, I did some thinking. I wondered to myself how many times in my life had I taken the safe route, the path without controversy. How much different life might be if I had, just every so often, left the interstate and ventured out into the unfamiliar? How much time did I waste not really exploring ideas outside my comfort zone and the expectations of those around me? If I had let a little more adventure, a little more outside the box thinking into my life - specifically, if I had faced my homosexuality head on and early - what would my life be like today?
Nothing to be done now except try some new things. Set off on some adventures. So, Glacier National Park here I come. And a visit in Utah with one of our MoHo blogosphere compadres, which will actually be the first time I speak to another MoHo openly and in person about, well, being a MoHo. Sure I'll have a safe few days with old high school friends now living in Utah. But I'm proud of myself for throwing at least a little caution to the wind.
My advice: Listen to the call of the wild, or the wandering GPS, and try something new and outside of your comfort zone. A surprising reward might be waiting.
The Road Less Traveled by R Frost has been one of my favorite poems for a long time. I really love the comparison of the GPS and real life. Sometimes you want to take the way that will take the less time, sometimes you have no clue of what you'll find taking the road you didn't anticipate, just like life!!
ReplyDeleteThat Moho who gets to meet you in person is one lucky SOB!! :-)
hugs,pl