So, I figure I'd sneak a September post in, just in case the three people who read this might be interested in my highlights for the month.
After a summer of preparation, I finally did it. I climbed the cables at Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. I had done it twice before, but this was significantly different. First, I was 12 and 16 the first two times, and today I am ... not 12 or 16 or even 12 added to 16. Second, I made the trip from Yosemite Valley itself, whereas the first two times I spent the night in Little Yosemite Valley, which shaves approximately 2,000 feet in elevation change and 8 or so miles off the trip.
So, round trip from Yosemite Valley is approximately 14 to 16 miles, depending on which signs/maps/websites you believe. The elevation change is somewhere in the range of 4,500 feet in the 7 to 8 miles it takes to get to the top. The hike involves climbing steep granite steps to the top of two waterfalls and up to the top of the "subdome" at the base of Half Dome itself. It was grueling and the hardest thing I've ever done. And worth every minute of it.
And I actually made it. I'm sounding very vain I know, but I'm proud of myself. I hiked many weekends this summer and walked during the week most days to get ready. I invested in excellent Teva hiking shoes and a Camelback hydration pack. So, I poured my soul, time and money into it and I'm feeling pretty good about accomplishing something worthwhile.
I went with my best friend, who is young and in top physical shape
and very patient. My two older brothers came along too, and while they
gave it the old college try, they had to "settle" for a 10 mile hike in
magnificent, beautiful country that almost makes me think there is a
god. Almost anyway. Really, it just couldn't have been any better. I
love my pal and my brothers and I love Yosemite. Who could ask for
more? Cross that one off of the bucket list.
So, now I have a picture to add to the website and actually go with the one that has been here all along - with a 25 year spread. I would have tried to match the perspective better, but (A) I forgot the printout of the picture I made just for the trip so I had to take it from memory, (B) the picture from the 1980s was much closer to the edge - apparently I was considerably braver or dumber (you decide) and there was no way I was going there, and (C) we were pressed for time because a storm was coming. I won't get into the details, but the climb down the cables was terrifying. Didn't realize granite was so slick when it is wet.
Without further ado, here is the conquering hero:
Rounding out the month, I built this lovely new Lego set:

Congrats! What an awesome goal/accomplishment! (I actually had a similar goal this summer, but Timpanogos has tooo much snow this summer.)
ReplyDeleteWay to go. You are just as cute now as you were at 16. Brad
ReplyDeleteYay for crossing things off the bucket list & ditto what Brad said!! :-)
ReplyDeleteNow let's move on to the other stuff on the bucket list!
Hugs,Miguel
@Sulli (aka KileY?). Thanks. More adventures next year. I have a taste for it now and am pondering a trip to Alaska!
ReplyDelete@Mohoguy. Now you're making me blush. Take the hat off to reveal the bald spot and get a little closer and I become less "cute" and more "paunchy" and "bald". But I appreciate the thought.
@Miguel. Good old Miguel. What other stuff might that be sir? :) And you know me in person so skip the cute stuff. I'm hoping for "dignified" after a few more years.
Congrats on a climb well made! Some day, I hope to make the same journey. Yosemite is certainly on the List here too.
ReplyDelete