Somewhat graphic, perhaps more than somewhat depending on your particular point of view. Not intended to be so for prurient reasons, but necessary to make the ultimate point. So, pass on this post if you're sensitive in this regard. You'll get no judgment from me friend.
I'm around 14 years old and have fallen very much in love with a friend without really even understanding that it has happened. He is only a few months older than I am, but he feels much more so and I am yearning for a close relationship with someone older. Without really understanding that it has become so, our friendship has turned sexual, of significant intensity for how old we were. No, there was never any actual intercourse, oral sex or anything like that. One might say it was anti-climatic (yuck yuck), but we would regularly fondle each other. I have no way of knowing this, but I suspect that our level of physical play was similar to what a "normal" 14 year old boy and girl might engage in. At least when I was growing up. I have the impression that today's 14 year olds are decidedly more involved that I could have even imagined at that age.
One evening, my friend Larry (name changed to protect the not very innocent) was at my house. We were up in my room and began playing our "game" - my personal favorite because it always ended with my hands "exploring". Fortunately, the door was closed. Unfortunately, not completely. My older brother and his wife were over for cards ("Rook") with my parents, a regular occurrence in those days. My brother had decided to sneak upstairs and see what we were up to - to surprise us. Now, this particular brother was (and still is in many ways) a large kid, so joking around was in his nature. I don't think he suspected anything untoward or was looking to spy on us beyond to the extent necessary to joke around.
He ends up looking through the door, seeing me on top of Larry with his pants down and my hands in a compromising position. He is shocked and bewildered so he quietly goes back downstairs. I was so, shall we say, focused that I didn't even realize that he had seen us. Later that evening, my brother takes Larry home. He asks me to come along. I decline because I was a lazy, thoughtless friend and had already got what I was looking for out of Larry. Brother insists. Fine, I sigh, and hop in the car.
We drop Larry off. On the way back to the house, Brother confronts me. Explains what he saw. I panic, am full of denial and anger - furious in fact. It is impossible for me to adequately describe my feelings of desperation. Either you've experienced them and know what I'm talking about, or you haven't in which case there's no way I can make you understand. We get home. I run up to my room. My brother and I never speak of the incident again, although some time later he sees a fairly graphic joke note I had written Larry (during stake priesthood meeting even!) and gives me a puzzled look.
What might have happened if I had admitted all to Brother that night? What if I had come out and talked to him about my feelings and activities with Larry? I am not certain what Brother would have said or suggested or what his attitude about homosexuality was at that time. However, I am confident he would have been kind. In fact, looking back I realize that his confronting me over the matter was done in a caring and serious way, not in an accusatory or threatening manner. I think he truly wanted to understand and help me. But I can't be sure. When I told my parents I was gay at 19, my mother's first statement was "don't worry, we won't tell your brothers." So, there's some significant ambiguity.
The past is the past. I will never know what would have happened. However, I can't help but wonder whether some of the real insecurities, sexual difficulties and miserable mistakes that plagued my adult life would have been prevented, or perhaps mitigated, if I had trusted my brother and shared my feelings with him. This was the 1980s and I was from old Mormon stock. I have no illusion that I could have simply been open, out and proud. No way. But with Brother's help, maybe I would have been able to see who and what I really was and maybe, just maybe, my closet wouldn't have been so lonely with my brother in there with me from time to time. It could have been a difference maker. That's they way life is. The thing that can make all the difference slips through our fingers before we even understand we are holding it.
Which brings me to my real point. Is it truly that much easier for kids today? I'm not sure I believe it is. For all the gay-straight alliances, for all the YouTube coming out videos, for all the supposed openness, I still sure there's a lot of disgust and loathing from kids when it comes to their gay peers.
It may be "getting better" on an incremental level. There is no way in hell I could have come out in high school. I can honestly say I did not know one single person who was openly gay in my four years of high school. There was talk about a few people being gay, and their lives were made a living hell. So, yes, I guess the ability to not be totally and completely alienated is improvement.
All in all, I still feel for my young gay friends. I fear that at least some of them, way too many of them, will end up with my life. Making stupid, foolish mistakes out of denial, ignorance and shame. Enduring, if not the level of disgust from peers that the 1980s involved, at least a significant measure of condescension and disapproval and perhaps rejection as an "other" who doesn't belong. I would hope it's better, but if I'm honest, I'm not convinced it really is.
I can somewhat relate to those confused feelings of being confronted by a family member. Two of my brothers found my porn history on the family computer and confronted me about it then. I of course denied it. When I came out they told me they always kind of knew. I asked how, and it was the porn history all those years ago. Who knows what life would have been like if I confessed that then.
ReplyDeleteFunny thing about it is, it was (and still is) easier for me to ignore the event than discuss it even today. We are strange creatures, aren't we? Truth is, I think most of our siblings know who we are, maybe even before we did in many cases. Thanks for reading and commenting.
DeleteI can totally empathize with your story, for the most part. I, too, often wonder what it might have been like if I had come out earlier. *shrug*
ReplyDeleteBut it really is getting better. I teach high school and I've overheard my students talking several times. I teach in a very small, very conservative, very tea-party-ish town. But a group of male students was talking about same-sex marriage and asking each other how they felt about it. None of them, not one, said that he was against it. They all said, "Who cares? People should be able to do what they want." There have been other experiences like this, and I've been told, "Umm, you know everyone pretty much knows about you, right? And, yeah, no one cares. It's not a big deal." Sure, there are still the jerks and jocks who feel they have to put down any man who isn't as sporty as they are, but if my small town conservative students are okay with gay people, then certainly big city students are too. :)
What a great comment. Thank you for sharing that. It gives me hope for the future. I'm glad that the students understand who you are and accept it. I wonder if in 100 years people will look back and wonder what the big deal was, like we do (well most of us anyway) when it comes to female suffrage and integrated lunch counters.
DeleteI am 60 years old. I heard the term gay for the first time when I was in my 20's. I think the term bisexual was not coined until the late 1970's. I came out of the closet before I knew there was such a thing as coming out or the closet. I remember reading about the concept of coming out and the closet from an article in the Chicago Tribune Woman's Page sometime around 1978. There were boys in my high school rumored to be "homosexual" but I didn't knowingly know anyone that was gay until after I came out to myself at 28. It is getting better because kids are coming out at ever younger ages and more kids than ever are not going in the closet at all. For more and more gays now the closet is measured in years instead of decades. And everybody knows of the existence of gay people even if they don't personally know someone that is gay. Another sign is that PFLAG parents of gay kids are getting younger and younger and don't seem to have as many issues with having a gay kid as they once did. In fact, it's today's PFLAG parents of transgendered kids that remind me of the parents of gay kids years ago. And, of course, there are more and more openly gay parents and straight kids with gay Moms or Dads and same sex couples legally married in 16 States and 15(?) countries. So it is getting better but we still have a long ways to go. We will have arrived when gay kids no longer go in the closet and PFLAG is no longer needed. So here is the progression - the generation before my generation didn't come out - they got caught - my generation was the first generation to come out in significant numbers and then mostly just to family and friends and the average age of coming out was somewhere in the college years - the next generation started coming out in high school and was the first generation to come out at work and form their own neighborhoods in significant numbers - then AIDS hit and things pretty much reversed for a while - when we started to make progress again at first it was very slow until a signficant number of Lesbians started wanting to have children then had children and that was soon followed by signficant number of gay men wanting families and then same sex couples wanting the right to marry and then the gay marriage issue got hot. It went from a small movement geographically limited to a few cities in the country to a global movement. It's all relative and for 40 odd years it has been relatively getting better.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thoughts Philip. It's great to have a more "mature" viewpoint now and again. You are correct in pointing out that we need to take a look at the forest now and again, even though each tree is important.
DeleteReading your story breaks my heart--there's no way that many people would have known what to do or how to react back in the day (especially from the Mormon standpoint)--other than to make sure the kid knew whatever he was doing was not okay and increase his level of shame and guilt--this pretty much based on experience of a couple of things that happened in my own household and interaction with my parents.
ReplyDeleteI think it is ultimately based on the person's environment, I hope that one of the benefits of the propagation of gay characters in media (TV, movies, etc) helps people know that it is not the deep-dark-secret that must be shoved down anymore. Much like you I am not aware that the message of love and tolerance above all is getting out to parents and leaders. The only hope now is that with the access to online communities kids can find self-acceptance, support and some form of understanding before they have to come out to their worlds--something we definitely did not have back in the days when we had to worry about this--on top of running away from the dinosaurs that is...(ha!).
Hugs,Miguel
Ah the fabulous Miguel, my Utah hiking buddy. Always good to hear from you. I actually think the YouTube coming out videos can be helpful to the youngsters to some extent. The only fear I have is that, like It Gets Better program, the videos can almost seem like a guarantee that all will be well when a wee person comes out. They should have the following disclaimer: "Outcome not guaranteed - your results may vary." Hugs my friend. Looking forward to that next hike/lunch.
ReplyDelete