Monday, March 18, 2013

A Gay Man And the All Encompassing Mormon Culture

Mormonism is not a passive religion.  In fact Mormonism is a complete cultural identity.  And it's that identity that is so difficult to reconcile with a homosexual reality.

I am old enough to remember the pre-block days.  The term "block" probably has no current usage in the church.  However, I turned 12 five months after the Church shifted to the consolidated schedule that it now follows.  For me, primary was Tuesday afternoon at about 4:00 p.m.  There were never any men there since all the dads worked during the day.  Church on Sundays was an all day affair, with Sacrament twice a day (I'm remember this correctly, right?).  Priesthood holders had priesthood meeting early in the morning, Sunday School came later in the morning with a return for Sacrament Meeting in the afternoon.

I also recall that during my childhood there was much more emphasis on the ward "family".  It seems to me that much more time was spent together as such.  There were several events a month at the building, with mutual and primary and whatever else sprinkled throughout the week.  Plus, bishops and stake presidents served forever - none of the this 5/10 year term stuff.

Even with the reduced demands of the block, as a teenager I remained immersed in all encompassing cultural milieu that made one Mormon.  Early morning seminar.  Mutual during the week.  Firesides on Sunday nights.  Scout camp and other summer activities such as a three week trip to the Philmont scout ranch with all the Eagle scouts from my stake.

Secular high school was also colored by Mormonism.  I think my experience may have been a bit unique in that regard.  There were perhaps 30 active LDS kids at my suburban, Northern California high school.  A small minority, but large enough to have some strength in numbers.  One of the benefits of those strengths was a certain connection across all grades, from the lowliest freshman to the "mature" senior.  There was traditional teasing and whatnot, but for the most part the Mormon kids looked out for each other.  There was even an unofficial Mormon lawn area where the Mormon kids and their friends would eat lunch and talk.

By 14 I knew I was gay.  I knew I liked other boys.  Not sure I appreciated it fully, but I recognized that it had moved beyond the sweet innocent crushes I had at 12 to a fully realized adolescent sexual longing.  But there was no way that I could really admit that to anyone.  As I grew older, I told my parents and a couple of friends, but really there was never a discussion about it.  For example, I literally had to tell one friend to please not change in front of me - he didn't seem to even appreciate that it was the equivalent to me of one of his female friends changing in front of him.  I didn't come out to most of my friends until I was forced out through extremely bad choices in my mid-30s.  

I recall talking to one friend in particular.  He and a few other high school buddies had come home from Zion for our 20 year high school reunion.  I provided the housing since I was the only one left here at that point.  We had a great time golfing and eating and generally goofing off.  At one point the topic turned to my sexuality and then current predicament. This friend appeared a little perplexed about how I had ended up where I was.  I just looked at him and said "well, what was I supposed to do in high school - how could I have even talked to you about this?"  He thought a moment and just nodded his head.  Some things just really are impossible.  Some challenges don't have solutions.

All of this matters because I sometimes get the impression that people outside of Mormon culture don't fully appreciate what it is to be gay and from a Mormon tradition.  It goes well beyond fear of disappointing parents and other family members.  Accepting one's homosexuality means rejecting an essence that was a lifetime in the making.  Maybe a California life, with its inhabitants' often casual approach to just about everything including religion, amplifies the bewilderment.  Religion in the California Republic is frequently treated like a suit of clothes - people tend to try different ones on until they find one that "fits" them.  Or more often than not skip the suit entirely and go with shorts and a t-shirt. 

Whatever it is, I often feel like people think "ok, just come out and live your life already."  But it just isn't that easy.  For all the wonderful things being Mormon brought me as a youth, and I truly recognize how very many there were, the indoctrination, the expectation that my life would be exactly one thing with a proper family and proper feelings, are not so readily shaken.  Having been taught that there is a god, and then told that the only way to go to Heaven is to precisely follow the Church's teachings, it's more than a small challenge to accept one's homosexuality.  Leaving Mormonism isn't like moving out of a neighborhood.  You don't just pick up stakes and move on.

And another thing:  Don't knock California until you've enjoyed an 80 degree day in the middle of March.

5 comments:

  1. I was an Elders Quorum President in a University of Utah student ward the year the Block Schedule was introduced. I recall the Priesthood Leadership Meeting before the schedule was announced in which spending more time with family was the imputis behind the change. A secondary reason was cost savings to the Church and members who lived farther away from ward buildings than most Utah Mormons. Buildings did not need to be used as much during the week and members did not have to drive as many miles.

    My guy recognizes what you are saying in the last few paragraphs of this post. He admires Mormonism for its emphasis on family and forgiveness. He, my son, and my former wife were in my hospital room last week after my surgery. He was amazed at the bond among my former wife, son, and me. He understands that my former wife and I love each other as people who were very important to our lives, but it is not the love that I have for my guy or the love that she has for her husband.

    My guy criticized the Mormon church for the bondage it puts on its gay members. He says it is unfortunate how much I lost in my life by not being able to love someone the way I am intended to love for so many years.

    I concluded last year that there is more than one way to heaven. My route is not through the Mormon church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that. I guess it's what we make of now and tomorrow that really matters. Nothing to be done about yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Your opening paragraph is deep:

    "Mormonism is not a passive religion. In fact Mormonism is a complete cultural identity. And it's that identity that is so difficult to reconcile with a homosexual reality."

    I went through all of those thoughts of self-pity--thank you Miracle of Forgiveness--angst and thinking how could I let family, friends and others who cared about me down, and it happened (not as easy as turning around one day and be done) it was a process that took years to let it all stop affecting me. Yet lots of people have a hard time understanding us who leave the church, but can't seem to leave it alone.

    Although I formally had my name removed from the records the culture will probably never leave me--I'm as much a Mormon as I am Mexican--I understand and speak the language, traditions and idioms...

    I suppose I choose to take all the good I learned there and use it as it fits my life now (mainly to maintain relationships with friends/relatives and more so because of where I live) and discard the things I don't like or don't apply to me and move on--sure every now and then I groan and moan about it but I've learned to accept it as part of my whole life experience--still in spite of all of that, it is interesting that I can take the boy out of the church, but I often times find that I can't take the church out of the boy...

    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the powers of culture and tradition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been looking through your past posts. I need to let you know that I appreciate your presence here and your writing of this blog. Thanks for continuing to write. I really enjoy your perspective as it connects with me in many ways.

    ReplyDelete