When I was 12 years old, I was in love. I certainly didn't think of it that way at the time, but the adult me knows it to be true. There was a boy in my ward, let's call him Dixon, who I was intensely drawn to. He was just a bit older than me - perhaps 4 or 5 months, maybe even fewer. At 12 years old, a few months can seem like a whole lot. And he seemed so much more mature and confident. Plus he was wealthy. His father was a doctor and drove a Porsche 911. His mother drove a Cadillac Sedan de Ville - with a digital stereo I think with a built in CB! And they had a VCR (it was the size of a footlocker), a thing which I didn't even know existed.
I could not wait to join boy scouts and become a deacon because that would mean spending a lot of time with Dixon instead of admiring him from afar. Much to my surprise, he actually showed an interest in me. Dixon was my buddy/partner for my first 50 mile hike (we had actual, challenging adventures in scouts back then - no drive to the coast and set up a tent). We spent time getting ready for our hike. He taught me to love Saturday Night Live and other more "big boy" things like wanting to wear boxers, an idea my mother vetoed for reasons I still do not understand. I was seriously in heaven. Looking back now, I realize how intense my feelings were. At least it seems like they were. Thirty years can play tricks on memories.
Up until that time, I was usually the instigator in any sexual experimentation. But Dixon was different. He loved to be naked. It seemed like his swimsuit, shorts or pants were off pretty frequently when we were together. We would be swimming and before I knew it his trunks would be off and he'd be laying on the pool deck (at his house - he had a real in ground pool!) or up on the cap of the pool (at my house with our much more pedestrian doughboy). He told me that he liked running in his underwear (not naked, even he had limits) from his house to a school and back again in the middle of the night. So, clearly he was very sexualized. I think much more than I was. We were constantly together the summer after I turned 12 and I made every effort to make sure I had him to myself as much as possible by shooing away other friends.
Then I moved to a more distant suburb of our community. I was an Air Force brat and although my dad had retired at that point eliminating transfers, my parents seemed to get the moving itch every few years. It wasn't that far, but it was too far to conveniently bicycle to each others houses. So, we didn't see each other for a while.
In 8th grade I invited Dixon to my house. He spent the night at least once. And on that occasion it was back to the old games. This time, however, it was running naked down the street. I was amazed that I actually did it. I can remember the two of us running and even being seen which totally freaked me out but didn't seem to phase Dixon at all. I also remember looking over at him and, how can I say this delicately, observing he was in the "ready to go" state. After our run, we jumped in my pool (in ground now since my family had moved up in the world) and then went up to my room where, having been made all hot and bothered, I convinced him that we should hang out in the buff. After a bit of that, he asked for his underwear, my parents came home, he spent the night and was gone in the morning.
I never really spoke to him again after 8th grade. He went to the old money rich kids public school. I went to the middle class/upper middle class school. We kicked their butts in basketball. They (and everyone else) kicked our butts in football. I would see him at these events but we never talked.
Here's what I don't get: I don't think he's gay. I'm not certain, but it just feels like he isn't. And we never had any kind of physical interaction, although I'm sure I'd have been all over that if I'd had the chance and he had initiated it. So if he wasn't (isn't) gay, why all the emphasis on nudity in front of me? As I said, it was almost always his idea. And why the erection when we were running? There wasn't a girl in sight for heavens sake. On the other hand, when the topic of masturbation came up among the boys during that first 50 miler, he wanted no part of the conversation. I said I did because everyone else said they did - I didn't even know what it was although it was clearly sexual in some way - but Dixon was silent.
Maybe he just liked the thrill of it. The possibility of getting caught might have been what appealed to him. And at 12 to 14, even the awesome, mature, beautiful Dixon wasn't aggressive enough to go after some female companionship for his adventures. Or maybe he was (is) gay, and just a really, really repressed Mormon boy. I mean, one never hears of those right?
None of it matters. Dixon didn't make me gay. I'm not looking to find what "broke" me so that I can "repair" it. But I do ponder about things like that. I wonder what impact such experiences had on me and what impact I had on others. I probably worry a bit about the latter but such are the hazards of reflecting on life.
I seem to have had a variety of these experiences. Did they contribute to my sexual orientation or did I have them because of my sexual orientation? I suppose I will never really know.
Why do mothers resist the boxer shorts? My mom was the same way. It took getting pantsed in elementary school and ridiculed for my tighty whities to change her mind.
ReplyDeleteMy mom never explained it to me. The answer was just no. I suspect it mostly was concern over the cost of stocking up on new underwear just to make me happy. However, it wasn't the end of the world. In fact, in my day, I'd say tighty whities ruled the boys underwear world by at least a 2 to 1 margin. It's not like it is today when it appears that anyone under the age of 25 has been wearing boxers (or at least boxer briefs) from 6 years old. What got you mocked in my time was ANY kind of colored underwear. So, I wasn't bent out of shape about it. In fact, Dixon was a tighty whitey wearer himself - when he bothered wearing underwear at all (yuck, yuck).
DeleteWhen I was in the process of coming out, my ex-wife said something to the fact that: "You didn't have a chance to do things that teenage boys do while growing up--you were being a good Mormon and were not able to experiment". When I tried to ask exactly what that meant she wouldn't elaborate...
ReplyDeleteBut it seems that lots of boys growing up have no hangups about hanging around in their underwear/naked. My cousins were a lot like that and they went to the LDS school in Mexico so I chalk it up to boys being boys--not that any of that makes or prevents anyone from turning gay...
Have you tried to look Dixon up?
Hugs,Miguel
You're probably right. I continue to maintain he wasn't gay. But I'm guessing he turned out to be, uh hum, adventurous sexually (ie. kinky). He just seemed to fascinated with it.
DeleteYour ex-wife probably has it right. I think way, WAY more boys have marginally sexually, often homo-erotic adventures growing up. They just pretend it never happened when they are adults.
I did look to see where Dixon lives. I think somewhere in SLC now. But I am confident he would not want to speak to me for a number of reasons. So I leave it alone. Truth is, I hadn't thought about it in years or I would have posted on it earlier. But for some reason it popped up, heheheh.
The book "Deep Secrets:Boys Friendships and the Crisis of Connection" written by Niobe Way helped me understand the disconnect that comes with a boys later teenage years.
ReplyDeleteYour Dixon reminds me of my friend David in his character. David was always the instigator of our "adventures". He was an abused child (not sexually that I know of). I don't know if that had any effect on his outgoing behavior. After we seaparated and went our own ways, I assumed he didn't want to reconnect with me as an adult. I regret not making the effort though. A few weeks before he turned 40 he committed suicide. No one really knows why. He was an alcoholic as were his parents before him. I still have the "what ifs".