I'm not sure where to start. I have spent the better part of the day looking at a number of blogs from gay folks with LDS backgrounds. My initial reaction is surprise at the wide range of people trying to reconcile their backgrounds, and in some cases clearly very firmly held religious beliefs, with the people they are.
I'm impressed by the strength I have seen. Particularly so from the young people who are much braver than I was as a young man. Growing up in the 80s had its own challenges, and I know that people are more open today. But I don't think LDS culture has changed that much, and I'm certain that these young people who have chosen to be more public and honest than I have are risking much in the way of acceptance from their family, their friends and their fellow ward members.
The biases, prejudices and fears are still there even among good, honest, well-intentioned Latter-Day Saints who simply struggle to understand. And among parents who cannot think of anything more challenging than having a gay child.
I'm not certain what I plan to do with this blog. I'm not even sure that I will have the discipline to use it regularly. From what I can tell it takes a lot of energy to do it right, and I am basically a lazy person at heart.
I'm so glad you joined the moho blogosphere! I've been scouring the pages recently and thoroughly enjoy and draw strength from the stories similar to mine, or my husband's more accurately. I look forward to reading about your life.
ReplyDeleteMandi - Thank you for your comment. I am always amazed at, and admiring of, women who love enough and are open minded enough to realize that life just isn't as simple as the story book "and they lived happily ever after." The Church brought many wonderful things into my life, but I don't think an open-minded approach towards unconventional situations was one of them. My best wishes to you and your husband for your future happiness!
ReplyDelete