I have no real idea of who I am. Well, I guess that isn't exactly true. I know a bit about who I am, but I've only learned the small amount I know in the last few years. There are many things in my life that I have enjoyed, experiences that have been unique and fulfilling and certainly friendships and family relationships that have been wonderful. But I still really don't know who I am.
When I was a teenager, I received a note from a friend who was a few years older. He was just leaving on a mission and wanted to share a few thoughts with me.
A little background is in order here. To my knowledge, I am the only gay person in my circle of buddies. And most of my friends were manly men and womanly women. But we were unique in one respect. We were surprisingly open about our feelings and affection for each other. It was not unusual to express how much we cared about each other. There were even occasional hugs! So, it was not particularly surprising or unusual to receive a serious note from a friend.
I do not remember much about the note, and am sure I no longer have it although as I grew older, I tended to save absolutely everything. What I do remember is his comment that I seemed to spend much of my time "trying on personalities". Even then, that observation disturbed me. Was I incapable of being myself? The answer was, of course, yes. Because I was gay and Mormon and couldn't think of anything worse than the world finding that out.
And so it continued for the next 20+ years. Me never really knowing who I was or t I wanted to be. I became a lawyer because my family already had a physician, two CPAs and a college professor. The law seemed what was left. I lived in my home town because that's where my family was. I never really gave serious thought to going anywhere else. I stayed LDS because that was my background, despite my secret agnostic beliefs. I said what I was supposed to say and at least appeared to do what I was supposed to do.
I realize that I even speak using other people's words. Or more specifically, expressions from movies. I was watching the 1980 film Brubaker last night and head one of the characters say that "what we do have here is a piss poor attitude". I have used the expression "piss poor" from the time I heard it in that movie. I even shortened it. In high school, I would tell my surly friends that they were in a "PP".
Then my world came crashing down. And out of disaster, pain and damage to myself and others I finally started to learn who I am and accept what I believe, or more precisely what I don't believe. It just makes me sad that it took trauma and acts of selfishness on my part to destroy the old me, with significant collateral damage to others, to get here. I will not say that I wasted the first 37 years of my life. But, my, what a wonderful life I could have had. What good I could have done in the world. What a different person I would be. If only I had at least started to figure it out when I was young.
I admire you, my young MOHO friends. Active in the church or out of the church, believer or atheist, hetero marriage or homo relationship or no relationship. You guys and gals may not have it all together (who does?), but with all the struggles and grief and pain I see in your lives, at the very least you are figuring yourself out. You inspire me with your awesomeness! And you older MOHOs are pretty cool too.
But, my, what a wonderful life I could have had. What good I could have done in the world. What a different person I would be. If only I had at least started to figure it out when I was young.
ReplyDeleteThat is exactly how I feel looking at others who had the courage to come out in their teens! That still doesn't mean that we can't make the most of the life we have left.
you are pretty awesome yourself :D
ReplyDeleteI don't really know my personality either, but maybe shifting is my personality.
I can relate to some of what you say. I've sometimes defined myself by my work or my interests or beliefs or doubts or family or friends or crushes or hobbies or callings. Several years ago no matter where I turned I felt anxious and depressed. Fortunately after getting help, counseling, meds and perhaps a miracle or two, the darkness slowly gave way to dawn. I'm almost 56 now and so far my fifties have been much better than most of my thirties and forties. I hope you will find paths that work for you faster than I did. I agree that younger generations have their advantages. But then again so do we thanks to our own unique experiences.
ReplyDeleteLike I've said before, I may be late to the party but at least I showed up. There's still lots of time to live the life you really want.
ReplyDeleteI have wondered if I do that as well. Do you know the film 'Runaway Bride' with Julia Roberts? She changes the way that she likes her eggs with each of the men that she is with. I didnt realize it, but I did that as well with each of the guys that I dated. In my last relationship (of 2 years), I morphed into a "mini-me" of the guy I was dating. Near the end, he mentioned that I had lost myself and didnt know who I was without him or the realtionship, and he wanted out. It hurt because I knew it was true. I was using the same hairstylist as him, so I had the same hair. I changed my sleeping and eating schedule to match his, so we woke up at the same time and weighed the same. Eventually, im sure it was like talking to himself because I picked up his mannerisms and speech.
ReplyDeleteNow I look back on that and saw how much I changed. I wasnt the same person when that relationship ended as I had been before. And of course it was two years, so things change. But it wasnt the same as if I had grown on my own. I wish that I could say "I KNOW who I am" with 100% certainty right now, but I cant. I dont think any of us knows who we are one hundred percent of the time because we always continue to grow.
But this post resonates with me because it reminded me that I need to focus more on introspection to realize what it is that Konrad wants, instead of the guy that Im seeing. I need to look at my needs and focus on being a person of my own so that I dont fall into a mold of my latest beau.
Good luck to you on your journey. You still have lots of time left. :) Even a day can make a difference in life, and you have lots of years ahead of you! So as someone mentioned above, even if you enter the game late youre still there. :)
Hi Controler,
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of us spend a lifetime trying to figure out who we are, some are lucky enough to do it, some might do a half-assed job and sadly many of us never get there. One of the things I've enjoyed about not being 'so young' is that I have been able to assert my own person, accept the real me, flaws and all. We all evolve as well, no one every stays the same in their likes/needs, I think that's a fascinating part of what makes us human beings, nothing wrong with borrowing movie lines in my mind!
hugs,pl
I think we all try on personalities from time to time. That seems to be part of exploring who we are. It is difficult to be yourself when you know that others won't accept you though I have been surprised by who has been accepting and who has not been accepting...
ReplyDeleteThere is always time. Each day is a chance to evolve.
Wow. Some really insightful responses. Thank you everyone.
ReplyDeleteHorizon: The young brave ones are an inspiration, but you are right that we all can make the best of what we have even if time and mistakes create limitations.
PGF: I would have never thought of that. I guess having an adaptive personality might just in fact be my actual personality.
TGD: The trick is actually letting yourself be yourself right? Seems to me that's easily said, but almost impossible to practice to perfection. The truth of life is that on at least some level and at some times we do have to conform to some expectations.
Ned: I have thought about meds, seeing as how I really suffer (horribly at times) from OCD. Glad you are finding your way. Glad to hear, too, of someone who has made his later (let's not say older) years good ones.
Rob: A lot of time or a little time, there's still some time to do some thing right? Carpe diem!
Konrad: You are an excellent example of figuring things out young. I would never presume that the under 30 crowd has everything squared away, but you are the perfect specimen of someone working hard on figuring it out.
PL: The always loyal PL. Good point - age can bring the maturity that allows us to not be quite so concerned about the opinions of others. I still laugh at some of the things I worried about in high school. Looking back I think, who gives a flying *>(&. Don't get me started on movie lines. Here's one: "You know I love 'ya more than my luggage". What movie and what (hint) actress?
Reina: I love the fresh voice you bring to the MOHO world. More lesbians is what we need, I say! I, too, have been very surprised by who has stood by me and who has walked away - and I mean in matters over the last five years that make my coming out seem trivial. It's nice to know, really know, who your friends are huh?
Controller,
ReplyDeleteTo put it more clairity on what I mean, we do sometimes need to conform to the expectations of the roles we have in life. I must conform to the expectation of getting the job done as I work as an engineer. But in all essence, I'm not an engineer. I'm me, doing the work of an engineer. Or Teacher, or Father, or friend or what ever has a label. That label isn't your identity, i's just something that you are doing. The expectations are only on what you're doing. Not you, your core identity.
The only person that will really, truly, honestly, carry expectations on your core identity is you. And even then they are unnecessary.