I'm very saddened by the departure of Public Loneliness from the blog world. He's been a good voice. There's been a bit of that lately. Folks leaving, saying they no longer have time to blog, that they've run out of things to say, etc. I offer not a whit of criticism about such decisions. A man's gotta do what he's gotta do.
But I am somewhat lost as to why it is impossible to have a "real life" and also participate in the blog world. I, personally, think I've found a good balance. I post a few times a month, some months more and some months less depending on my mood. I don't feel obligated to post. For me it is recreation and an outlet for things that I would not, for the most part, say to intimate friends and/or things that I feel better equipped to write about rather than verbalize. I also review many blogs, pausing to read posts when the interest strikes, sometimes commenting, many times not, often times just skimming. I find some more meaningful and interesting than others, but I really enjoy the experience overall.
And yet I do in fact also have a "real life". Now, I concede it is not all that, but I interact with live human beings in person. I get in my car and go visit places. I attend family functions and small get togethers with close friends. I have never allowed or felt like my participating in the blog world interfered with other aspects of my life. It's one part of it. I enjoy it.
Maybe that's just me. But I do not believe anyone should ever, ever feel an obligation to post or read or comment. Each time I read an apology for "not posting more often" or for "not posting in a long time" followed by excuses about why, I want to scream that no excuses are necessary. There is nothing to feel guilty about. It's for recreation or relief or curiosity, not for guilt. Guilt is such a horrible, crippling thing.
Anyway, I felt passionately enough to write this at work which I almost never do. Oh, wait maybe blogging is interfering with my life. Yuck. Yuck. It certainly interfered with my productivity over the last 10 minutes :).
Thanks to everyone for your blogs. I enjoy them immensely. And I get a lot out of posting to mine. To those of you departing, I will miss your thoughts. Come back any time! I love to hear from old friends.
Blogs come and blogs go. My personal, and very unscientific, observation is that - with a few exceptions - most blogs last, at most, about 3-5 years. But overall the Mormon queerosphere continues to grow.
ReplyDeleteBut, I agree, it's sad to see someone leave the Mormon queerosphere. I don't know why since I've only ever met a couple in person - but it's like losing a friend.
So true my friend!
ReplyDelete